Thursday, September 20, 2007

Meet "Rebekah"




On Sept. 1, 2007 I had the honor of meeting my "namesake" Rebekah. It all goes back 4 months ago when I met Rebekah's mom, Kumba, while sidewalk counseling. I volunteer at an abortion clinic to speak to young women about alternatives to aborting their babies. Knowing that there was one other person out there in the world that cared enough to help was what Kumba needed to make the decision to keep her baby...so for the past several months of her pregnancy we developed a friendship and I was able to help her get back on her feet and meet others who helped her in a variety of ways. Finally, the day arrived and I received the call from Kumba at @ 10:45 pm..."Your baby's here"...it made my heart so incredibly happy to actually know I played a role in this baby girl's arrival into the world. Over the weekend that she was in labor, Greg and I played Auntie & Uncle to Kumba's other daughter, three year old Ruthie...she kept us on our toes, needless to say :-) We brought Kumba and the baby home from the hospital to my parents where my mom, former nurse practitioner, helped with the baby so Kumba could get some much needed rest. As we gave Rebekah her first bath I couldn't help but be amazed at the whole process I witnessed the past few months. From a broken girl I met on a sidewalk in front of a clinic, to a beaming new mom with a beautiful baby girl she decided to name after me...God is good!

2 comments:

Angela said...

How very awesome! Ok seriously. We need a phone date!!!

Jason and Traci said...

Hey, I was auntie Traci for a day (and very early morning!). ;-)

Yay for baby Rebekah ... can't wait to meet her.

<3, me